adventures of beck

Monday, March 15, 2010

Food Reviews

I chose this Dairy Free Penne & ChReese because my vegan-ness was craving Mac & Cheese. I didn't really need the gluten free part. The noodles were predictably a little grainy tasting. The "Chreese" was ok, and the whole thing was very filling. I aded salt and "steakhouse" grinder spices (ironically, right?) It was alright if you're dying for Mac & Cheese. Not thrilling though.
I like this rice milk a lot. I used it in the Mac & Chreese above. I've also drank about 3/4 of the carton already. Being an ex-cow-milk LOVER, this stuff it a damn good substitute. I also like Almond Milk, but this rice milk is fortified with quite a bit of Vitamin B12 (50% DV in a 1 cup serving, which is normally only found in animal products). The original and the vanilla are delicious.
Tried these instant (and vegan) refried beans. Not very good. Tried amending them with olive oil (for a fattier flavor) and some more onion powder and salt for zing. Mixed in a taco, probably alright, but plain... not cutting it. They taste so different from the ones I had at a Mexican restaurant this weekend that I'm convinced there's some kind of animal fat in the restaurant version. I've looked up the traditional recipe online and it calls for some kind of fat. Usually bacon. That would explain the deliciousness. Ah well. I'll try a freshly made version with olive oil at a later date. Perhaps I'll see some improvement.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home